Fit Readers is a group/challenge run by Felicia @ Geeky Bloggers Book Blog and Jen @ That’s What I’m Talking About, designed to support and encourage each other on our health and fitness goals. In years past I’ve participated but just done quick updates on my Sunday Post. This year, I want my goals to be a top priority, so I’m going to share my updates in a separate, more detailed weekly post. The day it appears will probably fluctuate, though, so just keep your eyes out for it 🙂
My big goal last week was to pass my AFAA (Athletics and Fitness Association of America) Group Instructor exam and I did it! My exam was Friday and honestly, I had no right to pass based on the way I prepared. I just have been so busy and so tired that I didn’t study like I should have. Instead of reading and taking quizzes for the full 2 months that I’ve owned the materials I crammed most of it in to two weeks… more than half into the last week. Thursday night I took all 4 domain quizzes over and over until I could pass them (they change each time) without using the study guide. Went to bed at about 12:30 and woke up at 5 a.m. to review the domain quizzes again (make sure I hadn’t forgotten by sleeping) and then took the practice test – which I passed first attempt. Then I left my house at about 7:45 a.m. to take the exam – I had to be at the location by 8:30. So yeah, not what you call good planning and OMG I finished really unsure if I had passed or not. But I did and now I’m that much closer to being a group fitness instructor. Technically I could get a job at any gym as a spin instructor now, though most probably wouldn’t hire me because of the way I look (too fat). Which is fine, I only want to go to my gym at the moment, where they support all body types!
This week I have my Turbo Kick instructor training on Sunday, so that is my focus goal-wise. I have been so Spin focused lately I’m a little nervous about the shift to Turbo, which I haven’t taken in a while.
Emotional Health Goals
My emotional health goals for April and how I did last week:
- Do my miracle morning in some form everyday – even if it’s modified on the weekend I did Monday, half-assed Tuesday and none the rest of the week.
- Do my miracle night every night, again, modifying Friday and Saturday nights Not at all 🙁
- Take two, two minute 4-square breathing breaks every day. I didn’t remember to do this even once…
- Practice re-framing my attitude to myself and learn to say “I forgive myself for judging myself for _______” to prevent downward spirals. Nope.
Since I did not get even close last week, this week I’m going to focus on getting my routine back on track for Miracle Morning at least.
My Fitness Goals for April and how I did last week:
- Take 1 spin and 1 Turbo Kick class each week to get better at form and class structure I didn’t make it to even one class last week! My focus was prepping for the exam so I’m okay with that.
- Practice teaching at least 2 times a week for 1 hour each time. I didn’t practice at all – but again, focus was the test.
- Get in at least 2 classes per week for enjoyment/fitness, not instruction. No classes.
- Study for AFAA exam 30 minutes each night before Miracle Night. This goal is done for the month! Yay!
This week I want to take one strength & one spin class – we have an instructor that’s leaving (by the time this post goes live I should have taken it) and I want to be there for her last classes. Then I have a Turbo Kick class on my agenda. Besides that, I want to practice the Turbo Kick round we’re doing at the training on Sunday – so I’ll try to practice that at home Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
Something happened with the mic system when someone was practicing at my gym and the owner has said no more practices. I don’t know what happened or how she expects us to be ready for auditions in just a couple weeks when we can’t practice, but I guess we’ll find a way.
My April eating goals and how I did last week:
- Fill in daily health log every night before bed I filled it in Sunday, Monday, Wednesday- Sunday – if not before bed, the next morning. So pretty good.
- Get in a minimum of 64 oz of water daily I did Ok at water this week
- Drink a veggie smoothie or eat a salad every day to fill veggie needs Nope…
- Pair protein with healthy fat at every meal Eating was pretty haphazard this week
- Plan and prep food for the week on Sunday This I did!
I’m not looking for perfection, I clearly am on a downward spiral food wise and I’m not really sure how to get myself out of it. I am trying these new locally made meals that you order by Friday and pickup on Sunday. They are good for the week and made from really healthy ingredients. I’m hoping that by taking the prep work out a bit and getting a bit more variety I’ll do better this week with eating. I do have book club on Tuesday, so that night won’t be great. But otherwise, hopefully.
For those that don’t know already, I try to check in each day on Instagram, so be sure to follow me there. I’m @berlssc.