Sunday Post with Berls ~ Broken Phone

Posted December 22, 2019 by Berls in The Sunday Post / 7 Comments


News at Home: Broken Phone!

It seems I’m doomed to never have a calm, simple week ever again! This week Dante hasn’t been sick, slept through the night relatively well, and did great at daycare. But I still had a stressful week. *sigh*

Monday and Tuesday were pretty good, but I did have to work through lunch on these big projects we had. We were editing our website, which needed a major overhaul and they were so excited to have someone who really knows how (me). We spent 4 hours on it Tuesday and aren’t finished, but made major headway. Monday we created a charter for a section of our o:// drive, which also really needed attention. Again, several hours and we still aren’t finished. It was really productive and they ordered us in really wonderful food for lunch, so that was great. But I am an introvert and I need my recharge time. So I was really looking forward to taking my lunch and blogging on Wednesday.

Didn’t happen because Wednesday morning I woke up around 3 a.m. and, what would have been a quick wake-up, look at phone to make sure Dante is good (we have camera monitor through phone screen), and back to sleep, turned into up for the day. Because when I looked at my phone the screen was black, minus the little blue light in the corner. And it would not turn on. It was on the charger, but not charging. So I got up to try and fix it. Because I need my phone. Well, I tried clearing the cache and doing a factory reboot. Neither worked. I finally had to call T Mobile and setup a warranty claim. They told me I could go to the T Mobile by my work and pick up my replacement that day. Okay – sucks but I’ll make it work. I dig into our pile of phones and find the phone we always give Abuelita when she’s in town. It’s a flip phone, which is what she likes. This phone is seriously only for phone calls.

Just as I’m getting ready to fix the sim card, Dante decides he’s awake. It’s 4:45, a good hour and 45 minutes before he normally wakes up. Thankfully I was able to get him back to sleep by 5, without feeding him. Guess what time I normally wake up? 5. So there was no point going back to sleep. I just worked out, showered, and did our morning routine. Fed Dante at 6:30, took him to daycare and went to work. Of course, I didn’t have GPS, so I had to write out directions to work, just in case I forgot the way. I never pay that much attention, plus I go different ways all the time due to traffic. And the most miserable part? I had to listen to the radio on my way to work instead of an audiobook. It sucked.

So I ran out of work at lunch time to get my replacement phone… and long story short they said they wouldn’t have it until the next day and they never should have told me I could get it the same day. It always is next day. Great, just spent my entire lunch break. And to top it off, it meant driving home with the radio again. And no GPS, which I really need for my commute home because accidents crop up like crazy and with gps I’m able to avoid them. My normal 35 minute commute home took me an hour because I had to sit in traffic. I was stressed I wouldn’t get to Dante’s daycare on time! I was in a lousy mood Wednesday night and didn’t get to bed until super late because I was dealing with another issue.

With my new job, we discovered that I could insure Franky, my step-son. Just had to show he was my stepson with his birth certificate. Well, they get a copy and what do you know, father isn’t listed! And you can’t blame his mom, because my husband is the one who filled out the paperwork. We know, because he messed up Franky’s name. So they had to go start the process to fix his birth certificate, and the first step is an Acknowledgement of Paternity form. Getting this thing figured out was not easy, but by Wednesday they were ready to just go and fill it out. And then submit for the birth certificate changes. I get home Wednesday and look at the forms. First off, Kiko did his name wrong. He gets confused because in Mexico they don’t have middle names, but they use both their mom and dad’s last names. But if you ask their last name, they only tell you there dads. The other name functions a lot like a middle name here, in that you don’t use it often. So Kiko put his mom’s last name as his middle name, even though it actually comes after his last name. And then Tequilla put her old name instead of her current name. So they both messed up on the form and I want to know why this lady who worked behind the counter didn’t notice that neither of their names matched their IDs?! So I was stressed about that, thankfully insurance accepted it and Franky is covered. I had to make lots of phone calls on that Thursday though.

Thursday was better, despite all the phone calls I had to make. But I had to drive with no gps again and the fucking radio sucks y’all. Sucks. I realized this week that my time with my audiobook is a big part of my mental relaxation and recharging. So I seriously missed it. Not to mention I had to use my lunch break AGAIN to get my phone. And y’all, you just don’t know how much you use your phone until you don’t have it. Complaining about GPS and the radio are just the tip of the iceberg on not having my phone.

Work was a little stressful Thursday and Friday – we had a big, important meeting about renewing the $40 million grant that runs our program, which was in preparation for my boss (he’s the Dean of the program) to meet with the university president Friday morning. Well Friday morning at 8 he tells me he needs all this stuff for the meeting, including a list of attendees from yesterday’s meeting with all these details about them (their degree — MD, PhD, DVM — rank, program, and part of the grant they work on). Y’all I didn’t even know 90% of the room’s name! I had a list of attendees from my other boss with their first initial and last name. I had to do some serious digging to get this information. Oh and I had 20 minutes to get this info for about 35 people. It was very Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada, minus the evil boss. When I arrived, piratically breathless on the 12th floor 2 minutes before the meeting with everything he needed, he said it looked great and thanked me – so not at all Meryl Streep. But yeah it was a bit stressful.

I’ve had a lot of trainings and meetings these past couple weeks, and meanwhile work has been fast flowing to me. They have been without someone in my position for about 3 months and everyone had been doing a little extra work to keep things running. Well they are excited to let that work come off their plates – which I totally get – and it’s landing quickly on mine, even though I’m not quite ready for it because I’m in training, don’t have access to things, etc. So I’m looking forward to work this upcoming week when pretty much no one will be there. I feel like I’ll be able to get caught up and organized. I didn’t know how to organize when I first started because I didn’t know what my job would be exactly. Now I have a good feel for it, I can see what I really need to do and how to organize. I think.

Friday I left work at 2;45 because I had a lot of overtime and they don’t want that (so cool!). I ran some errands and then got Dante. This weekend we finished out Christmas shopping and Kiko’s sister is in town for Atlanta, so her family came over and visited with us for a couple hours. Dante is still fighting his cold, but doing well overall. And Wednesday he turned 3 months! And he’s started laughing y’all. It’s so damn cute. Really looking forward to celebrating his first Christmas.

Blog News

So yeah, I failed at blogging pretty hard core this week – I had planned on having time to blog at lunch and I didn’t get a lunch until Friday. And I did a tiny bit on Friday, but I had a headache and was just tired. I ended up just calling Michelle and unwinding that way instead.

I probably won’t do much blogging until Thursday this week, since I’ll be home with the family and doing holiday stuff. Hopefully life is about to find a rhythm and be less crazy so I can really blog well again!

For COYER I’m doing pretty okay with by reading. I’ve read 8 books so far, including one buddy read. We’re making good progress on my other buddy read – it’s a longer book but I’m enjoying it and having someone to chat about it with. Linda and I liked our first book so much, we’ll be doing the next book as a buddy read too — need to chat about when, soon I hope. And then Stormi and I have a buddy read to do, I just got the book from the library. So yeah, I’m enjoying this COYER and doing well enough for me.

Last Week on the Blog

Coming Next Week From Me

We’ll see. I have plans, but nothing drafted. And then last week’s posts didn’t happen and I really wanted to do them. So we’ll see if I try to move them around a bit or something. A lot depends on what time I have today for blogging. I need to clean and finish wrapping presents and, of course, there’s Dante to take care of. So yeah, we’ll see.

How was your week? What are you Reading?

Berls phone broke and seriously derailed her week. Details of her week in the Sunday Post with Berls Share on X

About Berls

Michelle adopted me as part of her blog when I decided to close down my blog, Fantasy is More Fun. The blog was dying, but my love of reading and the blogosphere was still strong as ever - so I found my new home here at Because Reading!

I'm not just a book lover, but a one time author (that hopes to be more in the future), wife, mom to the cutest, happiest, best 2 year old and step-mom to the craziest, sweetest 22 year old on the planet. My family mean everything to me and they appear frequently in the Sunday Post with Berls. So grab a glass of wine and chat books, blogging, and family with me!



Want more awesome posts like this? Subscribe to my blog via email!

7 responses to “Sunday Post with Berls ~ Broken Phone

  1. Jen

    What a crazy week. I’m glad to hear Dante is better and the job, while stressful at times, is still going well. Do you get any time off for the holidays? I do know what you mean about the lack of phone and audiobook when driving – it’s so weird without it!

    Merry Christmas to you and the family! xo

  2. Ugh, what a stressful week. Between the extra work at the office, the phone issue, and the insurance issue… I’d be pulling my hair out. At least the insurance stuff got resolved. What a mess. Hope this coming week is a good one!

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books recently posted: The Sunday Post #187
  3. I am never a happy camper when my technology is not working or available. You are doing great with adjusting to your new work and it sounds like it is a great fit for you!

    I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a happy holiday season with family, some time to relax, great reads and yummy food.

    Anne – Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    Anne - Books of My Heart recently posted: Audio: Land of Careful Shadows