Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
Top Ten Things I’m Thankful For
I put a high priority on being thankful for what we have in life. Part of my daily morning routine is to write down three things that I’m grateful for, so that I never forget that – despite how hard things may be – I am very fortunate. Well with Thanksgiving coming in a couple days, this is such an appropriate TTT and I feel like this year I have more to be thankful for than ever before.
Here we go, my list!
- Dante. Y’all saw that coming, right? What many of y’all may not know is that we tried for 8 years and I had given up when I turned up pregnant. It wasn’t the easiest pregnancy or delivery, but it was far from the hardest too. And now we have this amazing, perfect little boy that I just love so much.
- Kiko. My husband is pretty great. I mean, we squabble and we’ve had some pretty good arguments since Dante was born (because who doesn’t get easily irritable when they are sleep deprived and stressed, going through major life changes?!), but he really is everything I could have hoped for in a husband. He supports me, is a great dad, and I’m just lucky to have him.
- Philip & Zach. My brother and his boyfriend have been my rocks (besides my husband) this past year. My mom has been a source of great stress and disappointment and it’s been really great to have them to lean on. They are my daily reminder that I do have an amazing family, even if my parents aren’t part of the “amazing” bit.
- Tequilla (the person, not the drink!). I think most people would find it surprising that my husband’s ex makes my list – and is pretty high up on it too! But y’all I couldn’t be more lucky in a “baby mama.” We’ve had a great relationship since Kiko and I got involved. But she really extended herself to me and became that other piece of family that I needed. Her kids feel like their mine a bit too (and not just my step-son). Her mom feels a bit like my Mema too. She threw my baby shower (and it was great!) and she has been my number one source for help with Dante. I feel like she’s done for me what most mom’s do for their daughters. I couldn’t be more lucky to have her.
- Franky. My stepson. He’s a sweet boy who has turned out to be a really good big brother. He’s come over a few times to help out for the day and he and his mom (Tequilla) surprised me with a night out while they babysat. Even though I’ve never felt like a replacement for his mom (nor should I), I’ve also never felt like anything less than family.
- Buffy. I mean, whose dog doesn’t top the list? I’m so thankful for my darling girl and even more so right now because she has adapted really well to Dante coming home. She is so sweet with him and while we still watch her super closely because she could hurt him by accident, I feel confident that she won’t ever hurt him purposefully. I think they will be great friends and playmates when Dante gets big enough.
- Melissa. So my number two resource has been my good friend Melissa. She’s come over a couple times at the beginning to help with Dante (along with her mom one time) and has been an amazing sounding board for questions, concerns, stresses and just someone to talk to about the life changing thing that is becoming a mom. And bonus: she has a 1 year old boy, so she’s given us so many hand-me-downs! I don’t think I’ve bought any clothes and I doubt I’ll need to.
- Harmony. Harmony is a friend that I made while working out a my gym. She had a baby in July and has been a great support. She setup a meal train for us when Dante was first born and we ate for about 2-3 weeks off that without having to worry about cooking. And she’s the reason I’m starting a new job 12/2. She saw a position, thought of me, really advocated for me and helped me get into this perfect position for being a better mom to Dante.
- Gym Community. The people at my gym are fantastic. I’m going to miss them, since I really can’t afford the time/money right now to be an active member. But they are the ones who brought us food. They are the ones that sent us GrubHub gift cards. They are the ones who sent me encouraging messages. I’m very lucky to have them.
- Michelle! Y’all I almost listed her earlier, but I felt like leaving her for last was a great way to round out this post. I’m so thankful for blogging (and all of you should be on this list really!!), because without it I wouldn’t have found one of my very best friends. It’s so weird to me when I think that I’ve only actually met her in person one time! I feel like I know her kids (who I’ve actually never met) and her husband (who I have met and think is a pretty great guy!) as well as some of the friends I have here in Dallas with me. She has been gracious enough to let me join her here on her blog, which has become my new blogging home. And she’s let me be a horrible blogger without booting me LOL! She’s also been another one of those supports that I’ve called – literally in tears a few times – through this being a new mom thing (y’all, no matter how many books you read, it’s HARD). Thanks Michelle for being amazing. Now move to Dallas!!!
It strikes me that, while I have so many “things” to be thankful for, what tops my list is people. I think it’s a powerful reminder that our lives are not made full by the things we acquire or the jobs that we do and the money we make. It’s the people we surround ourselves with that make our lives what they are. And I’m seriously blessed to have some pretty incredible people in my life – I could keep going and list a few more, I’m sure!