It’s that time again…..
Can You Read a Series in a Month?
Remember the days before book blogging, when you didn’t have a COLOSSAL list of books to read, because you didn’t know about all of them yet? When you discovered a great series and literally just gobbled it up because you had no review book commitments and, quite often, nothing else to read anyway? When you didn’t know about a series until long after it was published from beginning to end and you COULD just binge read the whole thing? Wouldn’t it be fun to do that again? Not to mention, I KNOW you have a least half a dozen series you’ve been dying to read and just haven’t made time for. Which is why Berls and I are challenging you to read an ENTIRE series in a month.
- Pick 1 series. Yes, just 1. Announce which series you’ve picked on your sign up post.
- Read EVERY book in the series. You don’t have to read novellas or short stories, just the core books.
- Read them all between 12am (your time) September 1st and 11:59pm (your time) September 30th. They MUST be marked (on Goodreads) as started and finished in the month of September to count.
- Enjoy bragging to everyone about how you’re all caught up on whatever series you read (AKA – have fun)!
The Nitty Gritty / Inevitable questions
Here’s some questions that we’ve anticipated (and asked each other as we figured it out) and we can update this section as we get more questions (assuming there will be).
- Q: Can I read more than 1 series?
- I know we have some reading over-achievers out there who want to do more. Go ahead, we’ll cheer you on, but there’s no bonus points or higher levels for reading more than 1.
- Q:How many books constitutes a series?
- We’re going to say 3 published books – so if it’s a trilogy it counts. If you want to take on a 40 book series, be our guest. And good luck!
- Q: Can I have started the series?
- You can’t reread an ENTIRE series. But if you have less than three books remaining in a series (so 2 or 1) you may reread 1 or 2 books, so that you’re reading 3 books. For example, if you’ve read 3 books in a 5 book series, you could reread 1 book and then read the 2 unread books, bring your total to three.
- Q: Does the entire series have to be published and complete?
- No. But there must be at least 3 books published for it to count (or if you’ve already read 1 book, 4 published). So if there’s going to be six books, but only 4 are published and you’ve read the first one, it counts. So if it’s a trilogy that not yet complete, that wouldn’t count.
- Q; Novellas?
- Novellas can be read but they can’t be the 1st, or in a duology. So if you have e books, and one is a novella that is fine but if the series has 2 books and one of the 2 is a novella that doesn’t count. The 2 need to be full length books (over 250 pages each book).
- Q: Duology?
- Yes, This is a new for this challenge, You can read a duology but it CANNOT be a re-read. You must be reading both books from the duology for the first time. They also must be full length novels and not novellas or a book with less than 200 pages.
- Q; But can you read a book series if each book is less than 250 pages?
- Originally we said no but if the series is 3 books or more and less than 250 pages in each book than it totally counts, BUT it must be 3 books with at least 60 pages in each book and you must read the entire series for it to count, you can not re-read. (all books published)
- Q; Anthologies?
- Anthologies do not count
Bragging rights! Nah, just kidding. We will be awarding $5 Gift Cards to Amazon, selected randomly from everyone who successfully completes the challenge.
So it’s time to sign up! We just need to you make a simple sign up post (on your blog, Goodreads, Facebook, etc) declaring your intention to participate and letting us know what series you will be reading. I’ll have my sign up post next week if you need an example… I have to decide which series I’m going to pick of the MANY I’m considering!