October is one of my favorite Holiday months. I have so much that I love and need to do during this month. So I thought why not share my Ten Favorite Traditions that I MUST do during the month of October.
My Ten Favorite October Traditions, this is really in no specific order.
- Decorating ~ It’s a must I love making the house all dressed up in spooky stuff. Well not that spooky since the kids would be freaking out. I just give the house a fun whimsical look.
- Trip to the Apple Farm ~ Something about being able to pick your own apples is just so much fun. We usually go to get a bunch of Winesap apples they have that great sweet fall flavor. The kids run around the trees and pick at least 3 bags full. We use them to eat, make pies and applesauce. It’s the only time we can get them, the farm has a great store that sells the most amazing Apple BBQ Sauce. The Apple BBE Sauce tastes so good on chicken and pork chops but this year I want to make pulled pork with it. YUM.
- Halloween Movie ~ I can’t go a year without watching Halloween. Jamie Lee Curtis the second scream queen after her mom. It just gets me in such a great Halloween mood after watching it. It’s one of those movies that everyone needs to leave me alone so I can watch it.
- Hocus Pocus ~ This is a new tradition that I started with my daughter. We grab a huge bowl of popcorn and sit in front of the TV to get out fill of the Sanderson Sisters. This movie is fantastic and I love being able to share it with her. It is one of her favorites and after I introduced it to her she watched it non stop for months after October. Now we wait for it to come on TV and still with the big bowl of popcorn sit and watch, just the two of us.
- Super Soft Pretzels ~ After a day/night of Trick or Treating the family and I come home we order pizza and I make the Super Soft Pretzels that you get at the grocery store. The kids love it and we do it EVERY year.
- Horror Soundtracks ~ Yup the entire month of October as soon as I get to work I bring up Spotify and listen to Horror Movie Soundtracks all day. I would advise not to sneak up behind me because I might have a heart attack but I just love the creepy music. Some of my favorites are; Halloween 1 & 2, Sleepy Hollow, The Mummy, Psycho, Horror/SciFi Movie Scores, Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist and a Group called Midnight Syndicate that has a bunch of really creepy music that is perfect to get you in the spooky mood.
- Carving Pumpkins ~ Pumpkin seeds for MONTHS, that is usually what happens, the kids finally carve their own pumpkins and I was happy to let them. They do such a great job so we usually have 3 big pumpkins to carve and show off. Even before kids this was a must for me, I love carving pumpkins and it’s so fun to come up with the faces or buy those packets that have stencils to use. I can’t wait to do it this year.
- Trick or Treat ~ I have been doing this forever and I will be so sad when the kids don’t want to anymore. We like going to the next town over and spending a good 2 hours getting as much candy as we can. We also have been going to the truck or treat in town. I actually wish the town would do a town wide Truck or Treat at each school and end at the HS with a big festival. It would be fun and a lot safer for the kids. I know one town in NJ does Halloween the Saturday before and they have a town wide parade and on Halloween there is no Trick or Treating but you can visit family or just stay in because on work days it’s so hard to get the kids dressed and out. That just seems like fun. 🙂
- Horror Movies ~ Besides Halloween, I am a Horror Movie Buff when it comes to October, I need to watch them all. I just love the old classic and Freeforms 13 days of Halloween that has the fun stop motion movies, Nightmare before Christmas, Corpse Bride and Coraline, just to name a few, they are fun to watch with the kids since they really can’t watch the other one with me or everyone will be sleeping in the bed with me at night. SyFy used to have a great 31 days of Halloween but they changed it so much that it isn’t the same and it’s all Hollywood movies. I miss the old days of those made for TV Horror movies. I wish they would do that again.
- Mr Bones ~ Mr Bones has been in our family for about 14 year (he is pictured below) every year the kids look forward to me taking him out and setting him up. He has become and icon of Halloween for us in this house. Mr Bones recently received the honor of staying with us until after Christmas, we put a scarf on him and a Santa hat to match the season. The kids adore him and we sometimes put him in front of doors to scare each other. It’s so much fun to have him around and I am so glad he has become a huge part of our Halloween.
Sometimes we like to dress him up for Halloween! 🙂
Thank you for stopping but to check out My Top Ten Favorite October Traditions.
What are some of your favorite traditions?
Have a happy and safe Halloween!