I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Arrow of the Mist (Arrow of the Mist, #1) by Christina Mercer
on March 21st 2013
Genres: Fantasy, Fantasy & Magic, Light Romance, Magic, YA, Young Adult
Award-Winning Middle Grade Fantasy; YA FantasyTerror strikes the Celtic inspired kingdom of Nemetona when barbed roots breach the veil of a forbidden land and poison woodsmen, including 15-year-old Lia’s beloved father. Lia and three others embark on a quest to the forbidden land of Brume to gather ingredients for the cure. But after her elder kinsman is attacked and poisoned, she and her cousin, Wynn, are forced to finish the quest on their own.
Lia relies on her powerful herbal wisdom and the memorized pages of her late grandmother’s Grimoire for guidance through a land of soul-hungry shades, trickster creatures, and uncovered truths about the origin of Brume and her family’s unexpected ties to it. The deeper they trek into the land, the stronger Lia’s untapped gift as a tree mage unfolds. When she discovers the enchanted root’s maker, it forces her to question everything about who she is and what is her destiny. Ultimately she must make a terrible choice: keep fighting to save her father and the people of the lands or join with the power behind the deadly roots to help nature start anew.
Available at all major sites.Look for sequel late 2013/early 2014.
- This might have been my first cover love on Netgalley, this actually was the first book I grabbed, sadly it has taken me a lot longer to read and I am glad I finally got the chance.
- The flow of the story is exactly what you want in a book.
- This has very strong characters and great world build.
The Story & Characters
- The story revolves around Lia, she has a different kind of magic, the story is told in her POV. I enjoyed her a lot. I did sometimes feel that the characters really didn’t have a strong connect like something was missing.
- As the story progresses, I started to realize even with the lack of connect between each other I was still finding them very enjoyable to read. I really started to like them all.
- This was an epic fantasy it has constant action and lots of adventure.
- It was one thing after another and it never got confusing, the story was put together very well.
- Low how the adventure was up front and the romance was in the background. It gave the book more of a even balance.
- The evil parts of the book are well done and it has lots of twists and turns. The ending was pretty intense and I couldn’t wait to read the next one.
This book surprised me and I don’t think I was expecting what I read which made it so much better for me. I really enjoyed the story and loved the author’s writing style. This was really a different kind of fantasy and am eager to read the next one. I strongly recommend to YA and Adults. This is a great story that will keep you reading and wanting to know more.
Thanks for stopping by to check out my review.
Have a great day and Happy Reading!