Fit Readers is a group/challenge run by Felicia @ Geeky Bloggers Book Blog and Jen @ That’s What I’m Talking About, designed to support and encourage each other on our health and fitness goals. In years past I’ve participated but just done quick updates on my Sunday Post. This year, I want my goals to be a top priority, so I’m going to share my updates in a separate, more detailed weekly post. The day it appears will probably fluctuate, though, so just keep your eyes out for it 🙂
My November Goals
So I feel like October was about finding my stride as a new mom. I’ve done that, sort of. I know that’s going to be a continuing task, but I no longer feel like I’m drowning, which is a huge step forward. At one point I worried that I might be falling into Post Partum Depression, but thankfully it seems it was just a really good case of the baby blues, since overall I’m doing much better. I’m doing well with exercise as well, considering that I haven’t actually been cleared for anything yet, so walking daily is about all I could do. Nutritionally though, I’m failing bad. My snacking is pretty much all unhealthy. And I’ve started drinking sodas again. 8 years no soda and it takes one pregnancy and crying baby to break me :/ So I need to stop the soda again, I know I do. I don’t even really want to, though, so that’s going to be a battle. But I DO desperately want to get to my pre-pregnancy weight, not to mention wanting to lose more after that. So nutrition will be a focus this month… the month of Thanksgiving #irony?
Emotional Health Goals
Even though I’m in a much better place, emotional health – like all health – needs to be maintained. So I’m still setting some goals.
- Blog daily. This is something I want to make sure I keep doing and sometimes only seeing it on my to do list gets it done, so I’m going to keep it as a goal for November. Being connected to the blogging community more fully again has been really nice, so I’m hoping by making it a priority and recognizing the value it has for my emotional health I will continue.
- Get out of the house for me time 1x a week. I’m keeping this goal, as it’s really hard to make happen and pretty important.
- Interact with the What to Expect When You’re Expecting Community 1 time a day. I think this has had a huge impact on my improving emotional health. Talking to other moms who are in pretty much the same spot I am (I belong to a September 2019 babies group) helps because they are having the same struggles and questions. And, it’s also comforting to see that (in a lot of ways at least) we’re doing better than average. Sometimes you need a reminder to help you be grateful.
As of October 30, when I went in for my 6 week post-partum appointment (can you believe it’s been 6 weeks already? I sure can’t!), I have clearance to get back to my full exercise routine. However, I don’t have the same life anymore. I no longer can go to the gym at 5:30 and stay for 2 to 3 hours taking classes. So it’s time to find the intensity and motivation I got at my gym and replace it with something. I’ve decided to try Beach Body On Demand. I know several people who swear by it and, one of my gym buddies/instructors has a Facebook group where they support each other and hold each other accountable. It’s not the same, but I’m hoping it will be a good start. I would also like to try and go to my gym 1 time every weekend (they have 1 time visit passes, guest passes, etc that I can use without getting a new contract), but that’s going to depend on my husband’s support, so we’ll see. He doesn’t understand my need for the gym (versus working out at home), so it may take some convincing. I won’t make going a goal… I’ll make trying to negotiate it with my husband a goal. Baby steps…
- Go on 1 walk a day. I think this will still be a good thing as the fresh air is not just for me, but for Dante too. And we stop at the office and socialize a bit, which is also really good for me.
- Do Morning Meltdown 100 workout 5 times a week. I’m still trying to figure out what my routine for this should be, but I’m thinking when Dante wakes up for his early morning bottle… he tends to sleep from about midnight to about 5 or 6 am… after I give him his bottle and put him back to sleep I’ll do my miracle morning, starting with my workout. It’s time to start getting into a routine that could adapt for returning to work anyway.
- Get to bed by 10 p.m.. This isn’t necessarily a fitness goal, but that seems that most appropriate place to put it. I need to get myself to bed on time so I’m not too tired to meet my other goals.
As I mentioned above, nutrition is my battle right now. It’s what I need to focus on, for sure. But one step at a time…
- Get in a minimum of 64 oz of water daily. This continues to be a struggle; some days I do well, others not so much. So I just need to keep it as a goal, so it stays at the center for me.
- Eat 2 servings of vegetables daily. Still not doing great at this, but working on it, so it will also continue in November.
- Drink no more than 1 soda a day. Ideally I’d drink no soda, but I remember quitting soda 8 years ago and I think I was successful because I didn’t just drop 100%, I phased it out. So that’s what I’m going to do again. Especially since I’m really craving soda lately. I think it’s for the caffeine…
- Make a plan with Nutritionist for easy, healthy snacking
- Make a meal plan for Monday-Friday by Friday night. This goal will continue into November as well.
I’ve gotten back to posting semi-regularly on Instagram. If you want to follow me more closely, I’m @berlssc.