Fit Readers is a group/challenge run by Felicia @ Geeky Bloggers Book Blog and Jen @ That’s What I’m Talking About, designed to support and encourage each other on our health and fitness goals. In years past I’ve participated but just done quick updates on my Sunday Post. This year, I want my goals to be a top priority, so I’m going to share my updates in a separate, more detailed weekly post. The day it appears will probably fluctuate, though, so just keep your eyes out for it 🙂
Overcoming Scale Obsession
My big challenge of late has been not letting the scale be an obsession. I realized I have it bad when, at the Doctor’s office I went to the restroom on my own and on the way back I passed the scale and had this overwhelming urge to step on it, just to see! That’s a problem y’all. I see a scale and I want to step on it. I also came to a realization about this unhealthy fixation – I’m using the scale as a motivator (which I knew) but the motivation is fear. I’m afraid of gaining weight and so I’m motivating and chastising myself and using the scale as my instrument. Fear is powerful and yeah, I’ll probably achieve what I want to motivating myself with it, but the emotional toll it will take in the meantime! So I’m trying really hard to shift my thinking. So I’m allowing myself a scale check in every 3rd day right now. So far, so good – and Sunday’s check-in showed a loss, so I’m happy. Hopefully Wednesday will show a loss or maintaining. Because I also have to figure out how to more positively handle gain and I’m not really ready for that right now.
Emotional Health Goals
My emotional health goals for April and how I did last week:
- Do my miracle morning in some form everyday – even if it’s modified on the weekendI did Monday – Thursday. Totally fell apart on the weekend.
- Do my miracle night every night, again, modifying Friday and Saturday nights I sucked at Miracle Nights this week. I was tired and not feeling well most nights, so I just didn’t do it, pretty much every night :/
- Take two, two minute 4-square breathing breaks every day. I didn’t remember to do this even once…
- Practice re-framing my attitude to myself and learn to say “I forgive myself for judging myself for _______” to prevent downward spirals. I put this into my Miracle Morning affirmations and did it Monday – Thursday.
This week I’m going to really focus on getting my routine back on track for Miracle Morning & Night.
My Fitness Goals for April and how I did last week:
- Take 1 spin and 1 Turbo Kick class each week to get better at form and class structure I took 1 spin class and no Turbo Kick… lots of gym cancelling this week due to not feeling well.
- Practice teaching at least 2 times a week for 1 hour each time. I practiced 1 time this week.
- Get in at least 2 classes per week for enjoyment/fitness, not instruction. I didn’t do any extra classes this week :/
- Study for AFAA exam 30 minutes each night before Miracle Night. This I mainly did – I didn’t study on Saturday but otherwise I’m on schedule!
I teach my Mock Class on Sunday so this week I’m not worried about my other goals and I’m focusing 100% on practicing. I will keep up on my studying for AFAA though, since the exam in April 19.
My April eating goals and how I did last week:
- Fill in daily health log every night before bed I did this Monday – Thursday
- Get in a minimum of 64 oz of water daily I did really bad at water this week
- Drink a veggie smoothie or eat a salad every day to fill veggie needs Nope…
- Pair protein with healthy fat at every meal Eating was pretty haphazard this week
- Plan and prep food for the week on Sunday This I did!
I’m not looking for perfection this week after such a rough week this week food wise. I think my primary focus will be water and my veggie smoothies. I feel like if I can get those two pieces, I’ll be off to a decent start.
For those that don’t know already, I try to check in each morning and each night on Instagram so be sure to follow me there. I’m @berlssc.