I received this book for free from in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty
Published by Disney-Hyperion on July 14th 2015
Genres: Action & Adventure, Animals, General, Horror & Ghost Stories, Young Adult
A spooky mystery-thriller about an unusual girl who lives secretly in the basement of the grand Biltmore Estate.
"Never go into the deep parts of the forest, for there are many dangers there and they will ensnare your soul."
Serafina has never had a reason to disobey her pa and venture beyond the grounds of Biltmore Estate. There's plenty to explore in the shadowed corridors of her vast home, but she must take care to never be seen. None of the rich folk upstairs know that Serafina exists; she and her pa, the estate's maintenance man, have secretly lived in the basement for as long as Serafina can remember.
But when children at the estate start disappearing, only Serafina knows who the culprit is: a terrifying man in a black cloak who stalks Biltmore's corridors at night. Following her own harrowing escape, Serafina risks everything by joining forces with Braeden Vanderbilt, the young nephew of Biltmore's owners. Braeden and Serafina must uncover the Man in the Black Cloak's true identity before all of the children vanish one by one.
Serafina's hunt leads her into the very forest that she has been taught to fear. There she discovers a forgotten legacy of magic that is bound to her own identity. In order to save the children of Biltmore, Serafina must seek the answers that will unlock the puzzle of her past.
The cover totally got me and the synopsis sounds like this could be a very creepy read. This book is not fast paced and not slow but kept me reading, I think because I loved Serafina so much. The story is like a mystery and Serafina, being a bit of a loner feels that she need stop help solve it and save the missing kids.
What I liked and didn’t like;
- The pace of the book is good and I couldn’t stop reading it even at some points when I thought “Is this slow” I realized I needed to find out what happens to Serafina.
- The Man in the Black Cloak is CREEPY! The entire idea of him was giving me the willies and the description that was given didn’t help either, this is one dude I would not want to meet in a dark hallway.
- I was a little confused about the setting of the world but slowly I think I got it, it seems to be set in America but maybe the early 1900’s or somewhere in the middle.
- I liked that it has a little mystery to it, trying to find out what was going on and having a bunch of suspects that Serafina and Braeden were looking into was fun.
- I really like Braeden, he was a really great friend to Serafina when she had no one to help her find the Man in the Black Cloak. Both being alone and having no friends, I was so happy how well they connected and how much they really cared for each other.
- Closer to the ending part was really weird. I liked the book but that part kind of threw me, it does explain but I think I wasn’t getting it or might have needed a little more world build in that area to understand what was going on.
Overall I really enjoyed this book, it has some super creepy parts and a few areas that make you a little worried for Serafina. I didn’t find her whiny or annoying at all just a very curious girl that seemed to be looking for some sort of adventure, with a really kind heart. I adored this book and look forward to read more from this author. I recommend this to older teens and adults, some of the content might be a little scary for younger teens but if you think they can handle it good for it, you wont be disappointed. 🙂
Thank you so much for stopping by to check out my review
Hope you have a great day and Happy Reading!