This was seriously bad timing on my part. I was hoping to finish this book last Saturday during dewey but the day didn’t work out as I planned and this week has been crazy busy with school activities but I am going to give you a review of what I have read so far and will update when I am finished.
I have’t read a viking YA. I was so excited to read this book and that cover is stunning. This books isn’t what I was expecting and I am actually liking it but not for the viking part of the story, just the story itself. The characters are interesting enough and I want to see what happens next and how it all plays out. I am not an expert in vikings but I think that seems to be the part I am missing the most out of a viking book. It doesn’t really talk about the history or life of a viking. This just seems more fantasy viking than a real account of viking. (soon we can make a drinking game of how many times I write viking <-this one counts)
- Eelyn is a very likable character but I am not sure I get the sense that she is a “strong” character.
- Fiske is ok, not really getting a very good feel for him but he is likable.
- They aren’t nice to each other and I am ok with that since they are from different clans.
- The story is more of a love story…At least that is how I am feeling since I am not really sure what the story is about. I am 50% in as I type this and if conflict or a turning point is going to happen I am hoping it does soon.
- I sort of hate her dead brother that is alive (Not a spoiler it in the synopsis) but I get why he did it sort of but not really.
- The story is just interesting to follow and the writing style is good. The story sort of flows that you don’t realize how far you have read when you stop. The chapters are also very short.
- The synopsis says that a fight is coming and she needs to trust Fiske….I am looking forward to that and I hope it happens soon because I am 50% and that would be sad if it starts later because then it wouldn’t be a lot of info for so few pages.
I was able to finish the book today and actually loved the last 50% of the book. I loved the chemistry and even if the fight scene wasn’t super epic it was pretty well done. I love the romance and the family bond. I didn’t think it would be any less than 3 stars, I was right, this was a solid 4 star for me. I would have loved a little more world build and maybe a little more indepth characters but overall this was an awesome book. I really enjoyed it and seriously after the 50% mark totally fell in love with the characters more than feeling like they were a little flat. Totally recommend! 🙂
Thanks for stopping by to check out my review.
Have a great day and Happy Reading!