Sunday Post with Berls | The one with the move

Posted August 29, 2021 by Berls in The Sunday Post / 4 Comments


The one with the move

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kim @ Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead.

News at Home


Dante woke up at 3, 4, 4:30, and 5 a.m. last night. He has NEVER done that – even as a newborn he slept for at least 2 hours at a time. He’s periodically fussed a bit at night and then put himself back to sleep. But last night he was SCREAMING. So Kiko got up with him at 3 and 4. I got up at 4:30 and again at 5. At 5, he fell asleep in my arms, but as soon as I lay him down in his crib he cried again. So I just took him to bed with me, something we’ve never done and I wasn’t sure if he would sleep. Well VICTORY! He slept until 9:30 this morning (we all did). He did scream once, clearly having a bad dream. But since was in my arms I was able to shush him real quick and he immediately settled and stayed asleep.

Franky stopped by around noon and he played a bit with Dante. Then he went with Kiko to help with some things on the balcony for the new apartment and Dante and I came over to measure some areas and play, respectively. Then I went and picked up groceries and did my weekly car wash.

When I got back from grocery pickup, Kiko had a call to fix a leak. So Dante “helped” me put groceries away and then I put him down for a nap. While he was napping I listened to my audiobook and did a little shopping on Wayfair and Amazon for the new apartment – blackout curtains for Dante’s bedroom, a dining table – so excited about this! We haven’t had space for a dining table for YEARS! – and and armoire for the master bedroom. Oh and I also bought myself a new computer monitor because it’s time.

This evening Kiko asked me what day he should schedule the movers and that they were available Friday. I thought we had more time, but apparently we need to be out by Monday 8/31. So my plans for the week have changed drastically. Looks like I’ll be packing on all my down time to be ready for movers Friday morning. And, of course, I start classes tomorrow :/ So I’m off to bed.


Today was a busy day – and the start to what I expect will be a busy week. After dropping Dante off at daycare, I stopped at U-Haul to buy boxes – got a full truck worth. I honestly doubt I’ll have extra but I love that you can return whatever you don’t use for a full refund.

Then throughout the day today I was either working, packing, or on the phone with moving companies figuring out which one we’d use on Friday. I pretty much just got books packed — a big job, as I’m sure you can imagine. We move so much, though, that I really keep my physical book collection fairly light.

I also had a little meal prep to do for the week and took care of changing addresses a few places. Thankfully tomorrow is a very light day and I should hopefully be able to knock out most the packing tomorrow.

I managed to log in to my classes and get a look at what’s due this week. Not much thankfully. I will plan on working on my assignments Wednesday and Thursday (my on campus work days) mainly and getting a better feel for what the semester is going to look like. They are 100% online classes so somewhat self-paced, but with deadlines.


I had pretty much nothing on my work calendar today, so after Dante’s therapy session (8a – 9a) I logged in, took care of a few tasks and then got to packing. I had a few things come up and had to stop to take care of them, but for the most part I spent the whole day packing.

And man, have we acquired a lot of stuff since Dante was born. I’m realizing that my husband is quite the pack rat and I used to clean out and get rid of his “collections” of crap every few months. But since Dante, I haven’t had as much time and it has piled up. But I’m getting rid of it now. He just sticks things places and forgets about them.

Despite the amount of time I spent packing, I’m realizing that if I’m going to meet our moved up deadline of Friday morning I need to take the rest of the week off. Which is fine, I have lots of PTO available and I won’t fall behind at work. Of course, I am falling behind at school already :/

In MAJOR news, Dante napped at daycare today! I can’t believe it! So excited. He was in a much better mood tonight too. Fingers crossed he’ll start napping with the sound machine I’ve been sending. I’m going to buy one to keep at school.


Well… did the napping backfire? Dante woke up about 1 hour early today and SUPER fussy. Like crying with no reason. I checked, no fever, can’t find anything that looks hurt. He’s just mad at the world. But when we got in the car for daycare he got happy. And seemed happy at drop off. Perhaps he just doesn’t want to be home? Hmm… wonder if he’ll expect the daycare to open for him on the weekend lol! Good news is he did nap a little again today! Yay!

I spent all day today packing and am really glad that I took off work for the rest of the week. I COULD have pulled it off without taking off, but this is much less pressure.

I also finally had some time to start on one of my classes that started this week (I had an assignment due tomorrow at 11:59PM). It was basic orientation stuff for the most part, including introductions where I discovered that I am most definitely one of two old people in the class lol! Everyone else is either IN high school or just graduated. Should be interesting!


We let Dante stay up about 30 minutes longer than we normally do, which means he fell asleep about 9:30 instead of 8:45/9:00 last night. We figure a little less night time sleep, if he’s getting naps, might actually even out to more sleep. He woke up on schedule today, so I think we might be on to something. *Fingers crossed* He napped again today, so I think maybe!!

I finished all the packing I could possibly do today – including breaking down pieces of furniture. We haven’t done this as much in the past, but I think if I get things into boxes the moves can take 3 or 4 pieces of furniture that without breaking down would have been 1 trip all on their own.  Since they get paid by the hour, we want to make it as quick as possible! I also did a bit of work on my other class – which has a greater variety of ages in it. I’m still one of the elder students, but at least I don’t feel alone there!

I have a few items that can’t be packed until after dinner, and then some after Dante goes to bed and a few more to do in the morning. But I have the boxes all ready to go and a plan for each item. So I should be 100% ready when they show up tomorrow morning between 9 – 10 a.m. (I hoping 9 a.m. so they can also finish earlier).


OMG This day did not go as planned at all. Started great. I woke up a little early and well rested.  Took Dante to daycare, picked up a case of water for the movers because it’s HOT out there, cash to pay the movers, came home and finished up the final tasks by 9 a.m. and sat down to blog a bit while waiting for them to arrive. 10:05 rolls around and they haven’t come. They haven’t called. They haven’t texted. So I call and the company says they will contact them and have them call us. They call around 10:30 and say they are stuck in traffic. Should arrive by 11. I’m not happy because we’re the first move of the day, proper planning should have kept that from happening. BUT I do know traffic isn’t great around here, especially with all the construction. 11:30 rolls around and I’m pissed. Get a call, they’re almost here.

Well they arrived at noon. One of the guys seemed high. And he had his dog with him. WTF? And he asked if he could put his dog on our balcony – so clearly hadn’t made plans to take care of his dog. Well, MY DOG is on the balcony to stay out of your way, so as much as I love pets, no you may not put your dog that I don’t know on the balcony with my dog. Seriously, mover is not a job to bring your dog along, unless you plan to have the truck running the whole time with AC for the dog. Its now 12:34 and they are actually making decent progress with all the boxes. I’m just so angry because I was hoping to be finished by like 1, maybe 2 at the latest so I’d have like 4 hours to take care of unpacking before I picked Dante up from daycare. UGH!! I will update again later.

Well they finished by 4. It could have been worse; one of the guys really did work hard. And it was a big job so I’m still thankful we hired someone. We didn’t have them move the washer and dryer, since that would have taken them another couple hours based on what we saw. But Kiko can get the guys he works with to help him move them. And I did all the laundry yesterday, just in case I wouldn’t have the washer and dryer for a little while.

I stayed up until 11:45 unpacking – Dante was up until about 9 and we played as we unpacked. My priority was getting his room setup well enough for the night which I did before picking him up from daycare at 6:30. After Dante went to bed, I focused on the kitchen, making sure I could at least get his breakfast in the morning. I got in 20k steps today and am exhausted. Now that I’m sitting, I realize that my legs and feet really hurt.


It took me a good 30 minutes to fall asleep last night because of the pain. But once I was asleep, I slept like a baby. I woke up about 7:45 a.m. and immediately started unpacking. Dante slept until 9 a.m. so I got a lot done before he woke up. And thank goodness because once he was awake it was challenging to get anything done. He wants to hang all over me or “help” (which, of course, I let him).

I feel really good about what we accomplished today. Kiko brought over the TVs – we didn’t trust the movers to move them – and we got them both hung. We hung drapes in the living room and Dante’s room (the sun was cooking us). Kiko finished setting up the balcony and did a lot of work clearing out the old apartment of little things that we either didn’t trust them to bring (like TVs) or trash (like broken patio gate). I finished unpacking the kitchen (with the exception of the laundry & sink area, since we’re still waiting for the washer & dryer), mostly setup the office, setup the living room (except books), unpacked clothes, assembled a shit ton of stuff, and managed to remember to order groceries for tomorrow. At this rate, we might just finish tomorrow.

I am in bed now – 12:15 a.m. Sunday technically – and my feet and legs hurt again. I took Tylenol PM tonight so hopefully I’ll be passing out in a few minutes. I’m not updating books read, new books or challenges this week – I’m too tired. But I’ll catch up next week (I hope!).

Blog News

lorem ipsum

Last week on Because Reading

How was your week? What are you Reading?

About Berls

Michelle adopted me as part of her blog when I decided to close down my blog, Fantasy is More Fun. The blog was dying, but my love of reading and the blogosphere was still strong as ever - so I found my new home here at Because Reading!

I'm not just a book lover, but a one time author (that hopes to be more in the future), wife, mom to the cutest, happiest, best 2 year old and step-mom to the craziest, sweetest 22 year old on the planet. My family mean everything to me and they appear frequently in the Sunday Post with Berls. So grab a glass of wine and chat books, blogging, and family with me!



Want more awesome posts like this? Subscribe to my blog via email!

4 responses to “Sunday Post with Berls | The one with the move

  1. I would have been furious with those movers!! How unprofessional! I love dogs, but no, I am not gonna dog sit while I pay someone to move my stuff. That is crazy! But, I’m glad its over! Have a good week!

    Samantha recently posted: #SundayPost: August 29th
  2. What a busy week! Even though there were issues, it sounds like getting movers was the right thing to do. I hope you can get settled in quickly. And I hope the nap at daycare continues.