It’s that time again to share with you my Top Ten for Halloween.
I have been on a serious Horror Kick and have read some really good ones that last few months. I also have read a few good ones in the past couple years. Gathering all that I have read, I came up with Ten that are my favorite reads that would really set the mood for Halloween.
My Top Ten Favorite Scary Reads…
- Monsters Around the Campfire by Donovan Scherer ~I thought this book was going to be about a bunch of stories around a campfire but it’s a little different. Each story, you get 5 creepy stories, is told as events at the camp grounds is happening. I thought it was pretty good, I liked the stories, not as scary as I thought but I guess for a middle grade read it might be scary.
- Mary Hades by Sarah Dalton ~ Mary can see creepy things that tell her things and give her hints about what will happen and she also spends a lot of time with her Dead BFF. Mary’s Mom and dad think they all need a nice Holiday away but when Mary gets there it seems people are dying and something evil is lurking in the campground and it’s up to Mary and her new friends to stop it.
- Fright Before Christmas 13 Tales of Holiday Horror by 13 Authors ~ I highly recommend for anyone that is looking for a good horror Christmas book with 13 amazing stories by some pretty awesome authors. I actually really enjoyed this and was a nice change from all the cute, fluffy Christmas stories. Something different to get you in a Christmas mood…well….sort of. 😉
- Sleepless by Michael Omar ~ I really enjoyed this book a lot, the story was really chilling and when the book was done it really left an impression. I enjoyed all the characters and the creepiness. Even Narrowdale was a character in itself. I look forward to the next book. “Only in Narrowdale” can you get a great story with very enjoyable characters.
- The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud ~ The flow was so action pack, when it does hit a slow spot its really slow, but it helps build the story. The end is great and I loved how creepy it got even in the last couple of paragraphs. Lockwood, George and Lucy are just such fantastic characters. This is a great series, I really need to read the next one (book #4)
- The Boy in the Cemetery by Sebastian Gregory ~ This was not what I was expecting. I thought I was about to read a story about a boy and a girl helping each other, work through some issues and becoming strong loving friends. It was in a way but a little darker and a lot more scary. The story starts with the Boys life and everything he is going through, then it goes to the Girl, Carrie Ann, and the awful life she has. Both characters broke my heart, I cared about them and the story was scary, emotional and fascinating. This book has left quite an impression on me, Sebastian Gregory can really write a frightening story.
- The Woman in the Walls by Amy Lukavics ~ I almost DNF’d this book but I am glad I didn’t as strange as I thought it was and the end was like…Wait, What?!?! I actually enjoyed it. I have a part of me that wants this to be continued because I felt the story had more to tell. Looking for something creepy with maybe an annoying characters. I would suggest highly.
- The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey ~ This book is one of my favorites and I fell in love with Will Henry and the writing of this book was beyond anything I ever read. This has a lot of creepy parts in it and at some points has me sort of worried about turning the lights off. I can’t get enough of Dr Pellinore Warthorpe, this series is beyond amazing and I wish it never ended.
- And the Trees Crept in by Dawn Kurtagich ~ This book F*#$ed me up. I was such a mess after reading this. Not in a bad way but in a way that it creeped me out and had me just all messed up. I can’t wait to read more from her. This books is worth a read and during October is the perfect time to get your scary on.
- A Christmas Horror Story by Sebastian Gregory ~ Haven’t read a book of his yet? Not sure what you are wait for, are you looking for a fun cheerful Christmas book?… This is not it! Just remember think happy thoughts when you read it, no scary Santa Clauses or Weihnachtsmann or Der Kinderfresser just HAPPY Christmas thoughts…damn it!!! Scared the Sh!$ out of me. I loved it!
These are some of my favorites, two of them I read this year but the Sebastian Gregory books will live with me forever. Those are some great creepy, scary reads to get you reading during the day and keeping the lights on at night.
What are some of your favorite scary reads?
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Haunted Reading!