News at Home: Lots of Ups and Downs
This was a fairly turbulent week for me with lots of ups and downs. At work it’s time for my annual evaluation – not a big deal really, but it does mean that my principal is going to come and observe my classroom for 45 minutes. Well she was supposed to come Monday morning – cancelled. Then Tuesday morning – cancelled. Then Wednesday morning – cancelled. Then Thursday morning – cancelled. Then Friday afternoon – cancelled. I’m not doing anything different because she’s coming – she’ll see what she’ll see. But it does put you a little on edge. So I was basically on edge all week. And it sucks that it’s not even over yet.
On the plus side, the class did pretty well this week. We just finished our 5th grading period and I had my grades submitted a full 4 days early! I was on top of my lesson plans and we even had a really awesome Earth Day activity for the kids. I had a parent comment on one of the pictures I sent on our Class Dojo class story about the activity “Can I just say Mrs. C—- we are so lucky to have you as our Kindergarten teacher. You really are the best.” It’s so nice to get appreciation like that. So definitely some ups. I found out I’m getting a new student on Monday, kind of a downer, except I already got his file and it looks like he’s going to be a great student. I was going to get another one eventually anyway, since I’m at 20 kids with a max of 22 and we’re never NOT full, so I’m crossing my fingers I’m as lucky as it looks like I am on paper. Plus my class could really use more boys – we’re girl heavy!
I was also on edge all week because I was studying for my GRE, which I took yesterday. This test really kicked my ass when I took it 8 years ago so I was nervous. My studying exhausted me and I overslept Thursday – not too bad – but enough that my whole day was off. It was funny, I woke up 20 minutes before my alarm and was like, “yay! 20 more minutes!” went back to sleep and woke up an hour later…! My day just kind of stayed in that vein. And then I was up really late Thursday night studying and my scores scared me because my math (quantitative) was exactly what I needed, no wiggle room! But I took it yesterday and made a 150 on the quantitative and a 162 on the verbal. I needed a 150 and a 152 respectively, so I did it! Phew! Lots of stress, but it paid off 🙂
My grandfather passed away Thursday in the middle of the night (technically early Friday morning, I believe). As I told y’all a couple weeks ago when he entered hospice, this isn’t a difficult loss for me – because I really lost him 15 years ago when he (and the rest of my family) disowned me for not sharing their religious beliefs. But I’ve had phone calls from family members that I don’t want to talk to and it’s awkward as hell. They expect me to be grieving and I’m not. They expect me to make sudden changes and I’m not going to. So it’s been difficult. I don’t know when the funeral is yet, but it’ll be in NY and I anticipate more awkward conversations when I explain that I’m not planning to spend the money to attend.
Friday after work we did the car shopping thing again. Gah I hate car shopping. I knew it was coming though. Kiko has been driving Tauri (my old Ford Taurus) since I got Alia (Nissan Altima) in December – but we knew her transmission was going out, plus she has significant body damage. Well her inspection expires May 1 as does our current insurance policy. It just didn’t make sense to put money into fixing her so she could pass inspection, or renewing insurance. So it was time to get a new car. Kiko had been shopping around all week and we went to his top places Friday night – took us about 3 hours, but we got a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe. It’s pretty and he really wanted an SUV so he’s happy. We got a good deal (we paid cash, no payments!), it seems to be in good condition, etc. It has heated seats, which I couldn’t figure out how to turn off while we were test driving, so that was interesting LOL! Figured it out and even put it to positive use Saturday when it got chilly. Of course new car means I had to spend Saturday morning getting insurance setup, but that wasn’t too bad. And it’s going to be about $50/month cheaper than Tauri’s insurance, so that’s nice. Cost us $100 to add it initially, but over the long run it’ll be good.
So yeah… it’s been a week.
I’m continuing to do pretty well with my blogging goals. I didn’t do much Thursday, Friday or Saturday because of GRE prep. Thursday I overslept, which meant I didn’t have time to visit or work on the blog. Friday I purposefully woke up late because of staying up late to take a practice GRE. And then Saturday I just didn’t have time due to new car insurance and taking the GRE (5 hours!!). So I’m hoping to spend some real time visiting today and getting my routine back on track with the new week.
Can you read a series in a month? challenge
I’m going to make it! I’m done with the first two books in my series and about halfway through the third (and final) book. The first book was just okay, but the second and now the third have been quite good and I’m really glad I chose this series!
This was a SUCKY week where my fitness goals are concerned. Which just makes a trend for April as a bad month so far. 🙁 I’m DETERMINED to get it together this week because I MUST reach my goal of 10 pounds lost this month. Otherwise I’ll be sitting at the same weight for two straight months and I can’t deal with that.
Here are my goals for the month and how I did:
- Do Yoga Monday – Friday: I did yoga 3 days this week, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. not horrible not great.
- Drink 64 oz of water daily: I drank water well Monday – Thursday this week, Friday and Saturday were kind of a bust though.
- Track food and hit goals of 37P, 27C, 36F: 3 days this week, which is better than last week (only did 2 days last week) but really isn’t enough. I’m not tracking because I’m making bad food choices and I know it. I am not overeating, still eating small portions. But the stress has me craving carbs – sweets and salty alike. And the more you give in to those cravings, the more you want them. Going to have to do a reset this week to clear my body of the crap I think.
- Take 40 classes at GRIT: Missed 3 classes this week that I had originally planned to take. After two today I’ll be at 25 for the month. I think I’m short 1 now for my plan, so I may add just 1 more today and get back on track.
- Lose 10 pounds, and only weigh every 4 days (I’ve become scale obsessed): Well I’m doing good staying off the scale, but I’m not sure that’s a good thing. I think the daily accountability helped me with my food choices. I’m down 4.2 for the month, meaning my goal isn’t completely out of reach, but it’s not going to be easy either. I’m debating whether or not I should go back to daily weighing.
- Find one NSV (non-scale victory) a week: When I did my C25K walk/jog last Sunday my pace improved to around 17″00′ average for a mile. That’s a 5″00′ improvement from where I started! My goal is a 10″00′ mile, so I’m getting closer.
Last Week on the Blog
- [16 Apr] Just a Few… In Death AGAIN 😉
- [16 Apr] Innocent in Death by J.D. Robb ★★★★
- [16 Apr] Born in Death by J.D. Robb ★★★★
- [16 Apr] Haunted in Death by J.D. Robb ★★★
- [17 Apr] Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard ★★★½
- [17 Apr] Task it Tuesday | Getting 1 Month Ahead #taskittues
- [18 Apr] Just a Few Book Club Fails and a Win! #review
- [18 Apr] Heroine Complex by Sarah Kuhn
- [18 Apr] Sleepless in Manhattan by Sarah Morgan ★★
- [18 Apr] The Scottish Duke by Karen Ranney ★★★★
- [19 Apr] Star Wars: Jedi Academy (Jedi Academy, #1) by Jeffrey Brown ★★★
- [21 Apr] Books From Kinderland | Letter Studies!
- [21 Apr] No More Teaching a Letter a Week by Rebecca McKay, William H Teale, Ellin Oliver Keene, Nell K. Duke ★★★½
- [21 Apr] No More Letter of the Week, PreK-K: A Framework for Integrating Reading Strategies and Cueing Systems with Letter-Sound Introduction by Patricia D. Lusche ★★★
- [22 Apr] Sunday Post with Berls | Lots of Ups and Downs
Coming Next Week From Me
Sunday Post with Berls | Lots of Ups and Downs
Just a Few.. you guessed it! In Death!
The Problem with Forever #review
Task it Tuesday #taskittues