Sunday Post with Berls | The one with the settling in

Posted September 5, 2021 by Berls in The Sunday Post / 12 Comments


The one with the settling in

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kim @ Caffeinated Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead.

News at Home


Unpacking was the main task once again today. Dante didn’t sleep in like I hoped he would – he hopped up at 7:30 a.m. – and it’s really hard to get anything done when he’s up. Especially since Kiko was busy a big part of the day clearing out the old apartment and getting our washer and dryer moved. I did sneak out at 2 p.m. for grocery pickup – while doing the Psy-Changeling Chat. I had a Best Buy pickup (my computer from 2011 finally said, “no more” and wouldn’t turn on and I needed a computer right away for school), then it was Starbucks, Walmart, Target, and car wash. I got home about 3:15 and Dante was still up and Kiko was trying to setup the washer/dryer connections but couldn’t because Dante was upset by the drill sound. So I took him onto the balcony while Kiko finished and then he was down for a nap around 4 p.m. and HE SLEPT! During that time we got a lot of unpacking done – we’re getting so close!

I still stayed up a bit later than I meant to, working on getting my new computer setup and getting ready for the work week. But thankfully I don’t have to get up super early, since I work from home tomorrow.


Today was a good, busy day. I woke up at 6:30 and did my Miracle Morning on my beautiful new balcony – complete with a 12 minute guided meditation. Tomorrow I want to do a shorter meditation and do some yoga; I’m sore from all this moving! Then I got ready – my new bathroom is also such an improvement! So much easier to get ready because I have more counter and drawer space. And I’m no longer sharing a bathroom with Dante, which helps a lot. After dropping Dante off at daycare, it was time to get to work. I spent probably 2 hours getting caught up from last week (I took Wednesday – Friday off) and then I was basically free for the day!

So I stayed logged in and available at work, but started working on some more moving tasks. Our sofa pillow cushions suddenly smell, so I washed them and also a basket full of throw blankets we keep and haven’t washed in a while. I also ran out to return the boxes we didn’t use to U-Haul ($20 back, yay!), and to pick up some items we need from Target that were ready in my drive up order. I also finally got to put together a table I got from Wayfair. This thing was a BITCH to put together. I basically spent all day on it – there’s a table, a bench, and 3 chairs. But it was SO WORTH IT! Tonight we had our first EVER family dinner around a table instead of Dante in his high chair (which is a booster seat too, so it sits at the table perfectly), me on the floor next to him with the coffee table holding my plate and Kiko on the couch. And we watched TV after dinner – the design of this apartment allows me to clean the kitchen while watching TV with Kiko and watching Dante. Is it obvious I love the new place?

After that, Dante and I headed out to the balcony to play. He just loves being outside and this balcony is so big, he can really play and run. One of the office ladies was in the pool with her family (our balcony is right at the pool) and while I wasn’t ready to mess with the pool today, we may join them later this week. It’s nice because the pool is officially closed, but with Kiko working here it’s kind of like we have a private pool and can use it whenever. I’m going to try and get to bed a little earlier today. I still have some budget work to do (I’ve been spending a lot of money with the move and not keeping track like I normally do) and I really wanted to put some more things away… but it’s 9:30 almost so that probably will have to wait until tomorrow.


I had another good, busy day. Great even. I woke up at 6:30 again and did my Miracle Morning on the balcony again, and I added in 10 minutes restorative yoga (and reduced my meditation time). I almost up to my full Miracle morning routine again! Then we got ready and out the door for Dante’s therapy – which went great! He gave the therapist a high five and is officially doing it on command. He’s also clapping on command and we think he almost said “down.” When I dropped him off with his daycare teachers they said they think he said “red” at circle time last week and forgot to tell me. And then tonight we were doing “If You’re Happy and You Know it” (the song that I had a meltdown over two weeks ago) and he clapped!!! So much progress happening 🙂

I had very little work to do today again – thank goodness! – so I put together our new armoire. It’s a cheap one from Wayfair, but will make such a difference since we haven’t had anything to store clothes besides the closet and our nightstands (not enough room in the old place). That allowed me to finish unpacking the bedroom. So I’m basically down to the my books (the first packed, the last unpacked) and the odds and ends that you never know what to do with and probably need to toss but can’t seem to bring yourself to for some reason. Oh and pictures to hang.

I also did my meal prep for the week (I had leftovers still yesterday) and we had a nice evening playing with Dante and just our normal night time routine (play, cleaning up, blogging, budget, etc). This place suits us so much better, everything is easier.


I feel like I’m settling into a great rhythm. I did my Miracle morning, complete with yoga, got ready and out the door with Dante and my packed lunch, etc on time. Work was slow… It’s gotten ridiculous how slow I am. I chatted a bit, did some school work, had 1 meeting and that was pretty much it. I left a little early and visited my brother and his partner – first time I saw them since they had COVID about a month ago. I only got to see them for about 45 minutes, but it was nice. I plan on stopping by tomorrow as well, assuming things are as slow. I’m a little behind on school work thanks to the move, but I should be in an empty office tomorrow, so I anticipate knocking out a lot of that without the chit-chat time.

Dante is on his third day no napping at daycare again. IDK what this boy has against naps! But he was moody tonight. We still ended up having a mostly nice evening and Kiko took him out for a walk, giving me a little time for a nice relaxing shower and cleaning up dinner. After we put him to bed, I did some blogging and I’m about ready to call it a night.


Ugh. So Dante decided that 3:30 am was wake up time last night. I think the no napping is getting to him and messing with his sleep. And, of course, Kiko didn’t want to let him cry – it wasn’t an “I’m in pain, scared, etc” cry. It was a “come get me cry.” So I felt we should let him cry it out because 3:30 is not wake up time. Kiko kept rocking him and lying him down. He brought him to bed with us, where Dante started playing with Buffy. Long story short – it was 5:30 when Dante finally was back to sleep. So yeah, I’m exhausted today. At 7:45 when I had to get him up to get ready for daycare he didn’t want to wake up and Kiko was like, “Sure NOW he wants to sleep” LOL! I was tired today, I struggled to stay awake at work (today was an on campus day) and did stupid things like thinking pausing my audiobook was the same as putting my car in park (thankfully I found the brake when the car started to move) and microwaving my food in the plastic container, which melted and my food had to be trashed. I didn’t have much work to do, so besides a couple meetings I spent the day working on school work. I found out some of the resource pages don’t work on my work computer though, so I’ll have to plan to either bring my chromebook or do all schoolwork at home.

After work I stopped at my brother and zach’s again and spent a little time with them. Then I picked Dante up from daycare and was SHOCKED that he still didn’t nap. Seriously? BOY!!! We had a surprisingly good evening; he wasn’t super fussy and we put him down to be about 30 minutes earlier than normal. He went straight to sleep. I’m praying he’ll make it through the night! At least I work from home tomorrow and don’t have to be in the office. Finishing up a little blogging, taking a shower, and headed to bed!


Today was great! I did my miracle morning, including yoga, out on the balcony. Dante slept until I woke him up at 7:40 to get ready for school. I had about 2 hours of actual work to do and then, since I was working from home I focused on finishing unpacking while listening to an audio book. And I DID IT! We are officially 100% unpacked, including all pictures hung and all furniture that is a tip-over hazard screwed into the walls. I have a couple items I’m waiting for from Amazon – like new couch pillows because even after washing them Monday they just don’t smell right to me. But I’m done and it feels so good!

Kiko had a 6pm appointment for tattoo removal – treatment number 5, almost there! – so I picked Dante up a little early and we rushed to his appointment. It takes longer to get there than it does for the actual appointment which is like 5 minutes. I just grabbed gas while Kiko was inside and then we picked up McDonald’s for Kiko’s & Dante’s dinner on the way home. I popped a cauliflower pizza and some wings in the oven for my dinner. We watched two episodes of Parenthood tonight – we’re rewatching the show, it’ so good and it’s been years since we watched it. And we played with Dante a bit before bedtime. After bedtime I took care of meal planning for next week, a bit of blogging and I’m yawning something fierce, so I’m off to bed!


Dante let me sleep in until about 8 this morning. He ate breakfast – and made a huge, happy mess with the oatmeal – while I did a modified miracle morning (no yoga or meditations with Dante awake). Today was a mostly relaxing day. I took Dante and Buffy out for a walk mid-morning and was already so hot, but Dante loves to be outside so it was a nice time. I worked on plans for Dante’s birthday – Michelle finished his AMAZING birthday invitations, so I texted those out. I have an Amazon cart full of party supplies that I just need to run by Kiko and I’m trying to find someone who will make the cake we picked out. We’re doing a very small party of family and close friends with the expectation that all adult guests are vaccinated and no recent exposure, with all guests under 12 having no recent exposure or symptoms. We went back and forth on what we wanted to do. But Dante is in daycare, so we feel like we can’t really protect him much better than this expectation anyway.

We had plans for my brother and his partner to come over tomorrow, but Franky messaged asking us to visit them. And we hate to say no for various reasons, so we’re putting my brother’s visit on hold – hoping they can come Monday? – and we’ll be headed out to Campbell tomorrow afternoon. At least that gives me lots of audiobook listening time 🙂 and I do enjoy going out there. My new pillows for the couch came today and I’m so happy to have the old, smelly ones gone. These look and feel really nice. We also got the window vent for the dryer today and getting that setup turned out to be more effort thane expected but it does look really nice. The little finishing touches are coming together and I’m so happy with the new place.

Blog News

The final semester of COYER Community started this month, as did our Can You Read a Series in a Month? Challenge. I’m hoping to end the year with a bang!

Please stop by and vote on my TBR List for September!

Last week on Because Reading

Challenge update

This week I finished:

I’m participating in 4 reading challenges this year. Here’s how I’m doing:

Backlist Reader hosted by Lark @ Bookwyrms Hoard: 30 books

Library Love hosted by Books of My Heart & Angel’s Guilty Pleasures: 6 books

New Release hosted by (un)Conventional Bookworms: 6 books

COYER (Summer) hosted by Because Reading: 20 books

2021 Reading Challenge

2021 Reading Challenge
Berls has
read 15 books toward
her goal of
50 books.

FitReaders (hosted by Jen @ That’s What I’m Talking About & Felicia The Geeky Blogger)

My big goal for 2021 is to get down to my goal weight. It means losing 70 pounds this year.

Here are my goals for the month of September and how I’m doing:

(Once I get moved in – so starting this upcoming week): Walk with Buffy on my WFH days / 1 hour Cubii on Campus days
I didn’t quite hit one hour on Cubii either work day this week :/
Eating between hours of 11:30 am – 7:30 pm
I kind of forgot about this goal… I was so consumed with moving this week. I think I semi did it.
No eating out, except 1 time each week
This is did!
No soda… drink water only Monday – Friday.
My water consumption has been way down this week and my soda consumption has risen.
No scale
That at least I have done! Not sure if that’s the positive it sounds like – since I haven’t done great at my other goals. Guess I need to refocus a bit now that I’m moved in.

Added to My Shelf

I’m trying to be more responsible about keeping track of the books I acquire, so I’m going to start sharing them again. If I share them here, surely I’ll remember to add them to Goodreads, right?


How was your week? What are you Reading?

About Berls

Michelle adopted me as part of her blog when I decided to close down my blog, Fantasy is More Fun. The blog was dying, but my love of reading and the blogosphere was still strong as ever - so I found my new home here at Because Reading!

I'm not just a book lover, but a one time author (that hopes to be more in the future), wife, mom to the cutest, happiest, best 2 year old and step-mom to the craziest, sweetest 22 year old on the planet. My family mean everything to me and they appear frequently in the Sunday Post with Berls. So grab a glass of wine and chat books, blogging, and family with me!



Want more awesome posts like this? Subscribe to my blog via email!

12 responses to “Sunday Post with Berls | The one with the settling in

  1. I’m glad you like the new place. Maybe he doesn’t nap at daycare because there’s so much going on? My daughter stopped napping when she was a year old. But at least she slept all night. lol

    • Maybe. The other kids are napping too but I think the environment, even with everyone else asleep, is very stimulating. He is generally a good night time sleeper, so I can’t complain too much!

    • LOL I always get unpacked super quickly – I LOVE unpacking and setting up a new place. But, we move so frequently that I don’t really own near as much as most people. I’m sure once we get finally settled in a house I will dread moving because we will acquire way too much!

  2. I hope the new computer is working out well for you! I am glad you are settling into your new place well. It sounds like you had a good week overall. Mouse stopped napping early on and I never quite figured out why. She never picked it up again. Hopefully that won’t be the case for Dante! You need your sleep too and I’m sure his waking up in the wee hours isn’t helping anyone. I hope you have a great week, Berls.

    • It’s fantastic! I’m so glad I got a new one – even if I was forced to finally bite the bullet by the old one not working.

      Thankfully Dante usually sleeps really well at night, so hopefully this is a blip. But yeah, I have a feeling it won’t be long before we give up on naps all together.

      Hope you’re having a great week!

  3. Jen

    WOW! That sounds like a wonderful week – something well deserved! I’m glad you are settling into a good routine and your new place, which sounds wonderful. I hope the week ahead is equally as good.

    • Thanks Jen! It’s really nice to feel settled in and this apartment really does suit us well. We’re having another good week so far *knocks on wood* Hope you’re having a good week.

    • Right?! I think that’s why we haven’t given up on nap time despite him not napping most days. I mean he’s at daycare M-F, but on the weekends, I really appreciate that break and chance to get things done.